How To Clean/Care For A Septum Piercing. Hey guys! Today we will be talking all about the maintenance portion of a septum piercing. Someone had asked for a video like this so I decided to make it. If you have seen my videos on how to care for belly button piercings then some of this will make me sound like a broken record. The basic things and techniques used to clean piercings are all pretty well the same so I decided to add some extra things that I think would be good to know if this is a new piercing for you.
The first step to a healthy piercing is to always wash your hands before touching it. You should clean your piercing 2-3 times a day for the first week and then 1-2 times a day thereafter. No more and no less. Cleaning too little or even too often can lead to infection and other issues such as irritation which can prolong the healing process. Do not use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide as these are super harsh and drying to the skin which again could irritate it causing it to prolong the healing process or it could even cause it to heal improperly or never heal at all. I do have a video explaining when to use alcohol on a piercing and I'll link it down below. To sum it up I would recommend using rubbing alcohol on an infected piercing but never use it daily on a normal healing piercing. Also, do not play with the piercing while it is still healing (which I don’t think will be a problem)
Septum piercings take a while to heal especially if you accidentally bump it a lot. (which will most likely happen) Most piercings stay sore around the whole area of the nose for 2-3 weeks. But don't let this fool you. Most septum piercings take 2-3 months to completely heal and maybe even longer. If you change it before then you are leading the risk of possible infection or even tearing the skin which will pretty much start the healing process all over again.
What to use: Basically anything you would use on a wound could work on piercings just don’t use any ointments or heavy creams as they clog the piercing and result in the previous problems mentioned.
• H2Ocean (Sea salt spray)
• Bactine (Or any off-brand antibacterial spray)
• Home made sea salt solution
• You can also use an antibacterial soap but I personally do not like/use this method
Methods of cleaning:
• Using the end of a q-tip after spraying your piercing/dipping it in your preferred solution. Be sure to be gentile but still get rid of any crusties that might be on the piercing.
• Sea salt soaks- You basically just create a sea salt solution and fill up a cup or a shot glass and dip your nose in it. It might sound weird but honestly, this feels so good on a fresh piercing and it helps to loosen crusties so they don’t cause you pain later.
• Saturating cotton balls and soaking your piercing with it.
Helpful tips on septum piercings you should probably listen to:
• If you can, it's best to let them heal flipped up inside your nose. Trust me, you do not want to bump this piercing or get it caught on anything.
• If you plan on hiding it, do not wear a pincher. Just don't.
• If your piercing is healed, take it out or keep it down while washing your face. Especially if you're wearing a pincher.
• Keep it down while blowing your nose. Again the pincher is a problem. Blowing your nose with a fresh septum piercing is a problem itself for a while.
• Do not stretch your piercing before it is completely healed.
• Clean your piercing everyday because nobody wants snot built up on their piercing and I bet you’ve heard of people saying their piercing smells bad. The same goes with stretched ears, it's probably because they don’t clean them!
• Do not move your piercing randomly if it is still healing. That hurts like a bitch and I'm not joking.
• Overall just be gentile with it.
I really hope this video can help those of you who were wanting it. Thanks for watching! :)
Bounce Ball by Twin Musicom is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Instagram- rebexxa_xo https://www.instagram.com/rebexxa_xo/
Tags: How To Clean/Care For A Septum Piercing, Septum Piercing, Septum Piercing Care, Piercing Care, How to take care of, Piercings, How to clean, Tips